Let’s be honest here, most powder supplements just taste yucky and this is the reason for the growing trend in gummies.
A recent reader of my blog asked about options for taking greens powders in gummies instead of mixing up a drink. So, I spent some time researching this online and came across 8Greens Gummies.
I have seen this company before as I have reviewed their flagship product – 8Greens Tablets.
At the time of writing this review, the gummies are currently sold out within 3-weeks of being released! Just goes to show how popular these chews really are eh?
I am interested to delve into this product to see if this is the start of a greens gummies trend.
Is this the best way to get your greens? And can you really get enough of the real veggies to make a difference to your health? Let’s delve into my 8Greens Gummies review to find out.
I tried over 40 brands: check out my best powdered greens!)
- 1 8 Greens Gummies First Impressions
- 2 Background on 8Greens
- 3 8Greens Gummies Ingredients
- 4 How to Take 8 Greens Gummies?
- 5 Side Effects
- 6 Does 8Greens Gummies Actually Work?
- 7 8Greens Gummies Customer Reviews
- 8 Money Back Guarantee / Returns Policy
- 9 Where to Buy 8 Greens Gummies?
- 10 Is It Worth the Price?
- 11 8Greens Gummies FAQs
- 12 The Bottom Line
8 Greens Gummies First Impressions
As I have seen with the recent media explosion of Goli gummies in the USA (Apple Cider Vinegar gummies), the gummy trend is gaining popularity and now seeing this in the super greens sector.
The gummies are promoted as being an easier and tastier way to get your daily greens. Even quicker than mixing up a greens powder, these green gummies are easily popped into your mouth and chewed.
A common criticism of powder supplements is the taste – most of them simply taste disgusting, believe me, I have tried many of these greens powder. This is what also makes taking your daily greens in a chew appealing for many.
I have my concerns with gummies for two reasons.
- Low ingredient amounts – similar to capsules, gummies give a small serving size in terms of the ingredient quantity. This poses the concern over whether you can really consume enough in a few gummies?
- High sugar content – Most gummies are high in sugar content, which means you could be consuming an additional 5-10 grams of sugar each day. This will make your dentist happy though as chewing these long term could pose health issues for your teeth!
Background on 8Greens
The company behind this supplement first developed the 8Greens effervescent tablets, which I first reviewed some months ago.
The original 8Greens was created by Dawn Russell out of sheer convenience to get her daily greens whilst being a busy mom. The easy-to-take effervescent tablets have proved a hit with many people who see this as an easy way to includes the ‘most important greens’ in their diet.
The company has an impressive back story and the founder is very credible even to the point of running a foundation to help schools and hospitals in supporting alternative health and nutrition initiatives.
There is a lot to like about the 8Greens company!
8Greens Gummies Ingredients
You can see a screenshot of the ingredients label and most of the formula is guess what? Yep, that’s right a proprietary blend!
So, we only get to know the blend’s total amount is 686mg per serving of two gummies.
From the outset, I have to say this is a fairly low serving size of ingredients akin to what you see in capsules. If you have read my mammoth guide to super greens, you will already know that I am not a fan of supplement capsules for the simple reason, you just can’t get enough in them!
You can check out the greens math below, but let’s check out the ingredients list first.
Each green gummy contains Vitamin B5, B6, B12, C, and Zinc – all reveal the percentage of the recommended daily amount (RDA). There is an 11 ingredient proprietary blend which amounts to 686mg in a serving size of 2 gummies.
Here they are and what they have been claimed to do:
- Micro crystalline cellulose – Basically this is filler! Refined wood pulp and is used as a texturizer, an anti-caking agent. Will serve no nutritional purpose but simple a bulking agent
- Spinach – Nutrient rich leafy green vegetable that has been shown to reduce oxidative stress, help moderate blood pressure level and contains vitamins/minerals
- Organic Aloe Vera – A natural laxative and helps to lower blood sugar levels. Studies are revealing more health benefits from this succulent plant every year
- Organic Wheatgrass Powder – Nutrient rich in vitamins and minerals. Can help with alleviating inflammation and to manage blood sugar levels
- Kale – One of the healthiest and most nutritious plant foods available. Loaded with powerful antioxidants and shown to have many health benefits
- Spirulina Extract and Tumeric – Growing in popularity, Tumeric is referred to as a “golden spice” thats been shown to support joint health, heart health, and brain function
- Organic Barley Grass – Studies show it improves the health of type 2 diabetes sufferers, reduces toxins, improves cholesterol levels and improves overall immune system
- Organic Blue Green Algae –
- Spirulina – One of favorite ingredients with huge health benefits because its dense with lots of nutrients providing powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (source)
- Organic Cracked Cell Chlorella – This green freshwater alga is packed with vitamins and minerals – great nutrient to detox the body and fortify your immune system (source)
There are some great ingredients in the blend, some of my favorites are Spirula and Chlorella (the reason why I put them in my greens powder supplement).
The first version of the gummies wasn’t vegan but the website announces that the next version will be.
How to Take 8 Greens Gummies?
To get the best out of the gummies you are recommended to chew two gummies per day for kids and adults.
Adults can take more though, with a maximum of 6 gummies per day.
You can take them any time of the day and not necessarily at the same time.
The relatively low dosage of ingredients in each serving means there is little chance of side effects.
The caveat is if you are taking any prescription medication and/or have a pre-existing health condition, in which case you should really consult a medical professional before taking any supplements. This is to err on the side of caution.
Does 8Greens Gummies Actually Work?
Personally, unless you are chewing many gummies each day I don’t believe there will be many benefits.
Let me explain.
It’s all about ingredient amounts for me. Without sufficient amounts, you simply can’t get the benefits of each greens.
As readers of my blog know I look straight at the ingredients label when checking out a new supplement and assessing its potential effectiveness.
With so many manufacturers hiding their ingredient amounts in proprietary blends this makes it super hard, well actually impossible to work out what’s inside – in terms of the amounts.
Let’s take Spirulina as an example (my favorite!). We know that according to science we need AT LEAST 1 gram per day to show the benefits claimed by supplement manufacturers.
This makes it super easy to work out if 8Greens Gummies contain enough Spirulina to get the job done. As I highlighted in the red box below, there is only 344 mg of ingredient inside, and this is spread across 11 ingredients. So, there is no way enough Spirulina is available in one, two, or maybe even 29 gummies!
Greens Gummies Math
I wanted to break down in simple terms why I believe these gummies won’t supply enough of the potent veggies.
- One green gummy = 344mg ingredient *
- Good Greens powder = >10 grams ingredient
- Required green gummies = 29 per day
I did the same maths for Goli Gummies and coincidentally you needed 29 of these per day too!
* We have no idea how much of each ingredient is inside because they use a proprietary blend. The first ingredient is the largest ingredient in the blend, which is “microcrystalline cellulose”.
I see this time and time again in supplements that I review, ingredient amounts tend to be too low.
8Greens Gummies Customer Reviews
There are a few reviews on the official website, which is to be expected as this is a new product that has only recently been released.
Of course, the reviews on there are all glowing reports of the supplement. Here are a couple of examples:
Love these gummies!! Already tried them and I think they are ideal for people on the go who want to make sure they have their daily dose of greens! Will definitely become one of my staples. Thanks for making these :). Would love to promote for you too!Katie
These things are amazing… I think I ate 10 in a day and I’m hoping I’ll be ok…I want to eat the entire jar….my next question is will I recommend them to a reindeer.. my answer is I already did! Thank you! Greenwithgoodness
The last review is what I expected to see. Gummies are so easy to take that you’ll likely end up taking more, which means your bottle isn’t going to last long and you will be reaching for your credit card again as you’ll need to re-order.
This makes chewing these gums an expensive supplement to take each month!
Money Back Guarantee / Returns Policy
There is a money-back guarantee if you are not entirely happy with your purchase as long as you return them within 30-days of your purchase date. This is fairly standard practice and nothing out of the ordinary here.
Please note this only applies to orders placed from the official website and not from other retailers.
Where to Buy 8 Greens Gummies?
Is It Worth the Price?
Each bottle of greens gummies costs $45 and includes 60 gummies per container. This is sufficient for the bare recommended amount of 2 gummies per day. Of course, if you take a maximum of 6 per day then one bottle is only going to last 10 days.
It’s very easy to go overboard with consuming gummies because they are simply so easy to pop into your mouth – literally like eating candies. So, it wouldn’t surprise me to discover you’re taking more than two each day.
This means you’re VERY LIKELY going to shell out more than $45 per month for this supplement. Making 8Greens Gummies more expensive than originally thought.
8Greens Gummies FAQs
Is 8Greens Gummies legit?
Yes, this is not a scam and produced by a trustworthy company that stands by its product. They have loads of customer reviews and have contact details on their website.
Does 8Greens Gummies contain sugar?
Most gummies are sweet tasting thanks to including sugar or sweeteners of some kind. Unfortunately each gummy has 2 grams of sugar added (organic cane sugar), which means if you consume 6 per day you’re getting quite a sugar kick – 12 grams of added sugar per day!
When will 8Greens Gummies be in stock?
I am not sure when new stock will arrive, from experience manufacturing can take between 8-12 weeks.
The Bottom Line
I have to say I really like the concept of greens gummies – I have even tried making gummies from my SuperGreen TONIK greens powder. I soon found out that I would need to take 8-10 gummies each day to get anywhere near enough the same as a powder.
This brings me to the biggest concern is over-consuming sufficient ingredients. You simply won’t have enough veggies with these gummies – even when chewing down 6 per day. I have done the math above to prove it!
In my opinion, you would be much better off going for a greens powder ( I would like to suggest mine, check it out here ), there are a few good options on the market.
8Green Gummies may well be irresistible to the taste buds but most likely lackluster for your health.
Whilst gummies can be convenient they tend to be high in sugar (not great for your teeth in the long-term), taking greens to drink in the morning as part of your daily routine means in less than a minute you have your daily greens – in much higher amounts than a gummy can provide.
LifeHacker Guy Greens Recommendation
Please give me a few moments to shamelessly introduce my brand, SuperGreen TONIK.
I have researched a lot (and I mean a lot) of super greens out there but was disappointed with most of the ones I tried.
In conjunction with some of the worlds leading nutrition experts, I developed a greens supplement that actually does what it promises to do. Full transparency, No hidden ingredients and certainly no BS.
None of the other brands offered that.
Its the best out there (of course I would say that about my own), but let me tell you why...
- No hidden ingredient amounts - we have full disclosure labelling, so you know EXACTLY whats inside
- Ingredient amounts that make a difference - we include the minimum effective amounts supported by research, and most of the time, MORE
- Ingredients that also boost mental clarity and shake off brain fog - making for a much more productive and happy lifestyle
After many months I finally got a greens formula that fuels my body and mind for the day ahead.
But please dont JUST take my word for it, make up your own decision by checking out my review. (I TRY BE AS UNBIASED AS POSSIBLE )